Wednesday, February 25, 2009

GP2X: The Return

My GP2X has unfortunately been out of action for quite some time because my rechargeable batteries gave up the ghost, but I have just ordered a number of items that will restore it to its former glory and allow me to continue to enjoy retro classics and innovative homebrew games on the move. These include, new batteries, a new ultra fast charger, an 8GB SDHC card and reader to allow me to use it.

I really like the look of the GP2X Wiz which was released towards the end of last year, in particular the built in battery pack (having to rely on AA's is such a pain), but unfortunately I can't afford it just at the moment. There is a chance that I might get the Nintendo DSi later in the year though, as I have some HMV vouchers coming my way from work for completing 10 years service. I am intrigued about the gameplay possibilities that the two built in cameras and the new DSiWare service have to offer.

My PSP isn't being left out either, as I have been playing Star Ocean: The First Departure on the bus to and from work for several weeks now. It's a great classic style JRPG which has been lovingly remastered with new graphics, an English script and decent voice acting. What's more the load times are mercifully brief, which is one key area where the PSP usually suffers thanks to its reliance on disk based technology rather than cartridges. Expect a fully comprehensive review when I manage to complete it.

No comments: