Friday, March 08, 2013

Game Diary: Reviews Snooze

It's now been about a year since my last proper review.  There are a few reasons for this - I don't like to review games that I haven't finished, and I don't like to leave it too long between finishing a game and typing up my thoughts.  There have been a fair few instances where I had intended to review a game and not quite got around to it - this happened with Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 to name just two examples.  However I've been thinking about this and I intend to write up my thoughts on both of these and more in an article I will put up soon.

There are also several games that I am currently in the process of playing through that I would like to do full reviews for.  These include Star Ocean: First Departure for the PSP, Ni No Kuni for the PS3, as well as Digital Devil Saga and Shadow Hearts: Covenant for the PS2.  I am quite far along with all four of these, and would probably have been done with Ni No Kuni had I not come down with a nasty case of the flu.  I didn't want to play the game (or any game really) with a pounding headache so I'm afraid it's been a bit neglected ever since.

My huge backlog of games only gets bigger, as I purchased 12 or so cheap PS2 games last month, and then copies of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey and Henry Hatsworth on the DS, Devil Summoner on the PS2 and Gungnir for the PSP.  It really is a great time to pick up games for these slightly older systems as they are fairly easy to find yet easy on the wallet.  Looking back at them now, both the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP had a great library of RPG's which suit my current lifestyle of lengthy commutes to and from work very well.

I estimate that Star Ocean: First Departure has roughly one more weeks worth of journeys left before I finish the main campaign, so I would hope to get a review up some time during the week after.  I also have a long weekend coming up as I'm taking Monday as holiday, so I plan to spend some time with a PS2 game or two and come back with some more entries in the PS2 Tuesdays series.  Finally, my MAME cabinet and GP2X Canoo have been a bit neglected of late, so it's about time I fired them up and covered some true retro titles here on the blog.

One last idea that I'm toying with is a YouTube Community Spotlight, where I cover some of my favourite channels that I watch regularly for my gaming fix.  There are some extremely talented individuals out there, and with the advent of YouTube apps on conoles like the Xbox 360 and PS3, I find that I no longer watch standard television any more and would rather turn to the likes of The Completionist or Continue? to watch while chilling out of the sofa.

No comments: