Thursday, August 08, 2013

Game Diary: Silly Season

I have come to the conclusion that I will not be picking up an Xbox One or PlayStation 4 when they are released later this year.  This is partly for financial reasons, as there is just no way I will have around £1000 to splurge on gaming that close to Christmas and the harsh, long month that is January.

However, I will not be too sad as I get reports from my friends who do take the plunge (probably more than a little jealous, but I'll just have to cope).  The reason is, there is an ABSOLUTELY INSANE amount of games still to play on the current platforms.  The lists below contain all the games that I want to play, from earlier this year, for the rest of the year still to come, and then a selection from my backlog.

I have a tendency to hop from game to game, sampling little bits of each but never truly settling or finishing anything.  I am trying to change that habit, as it means I never truly appreciate each game.  Things are off to a good start with the completion of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn recently, and now I am focusing on Zone of the Enders HD Collection and Lunar: Silver Star Harmony.  Luckily, neither of the two ZOE games will take that long to complete, and with my two hour daily commute, Lunar will only take a week or two as well.

I can only really afford one full price game a month right now, and the next few months are already accounted for.  For August, my game of choice is Tales of Xillia for the the PS3, which has just shipped!  I will sample it (I can't help myself), but I must finish one of the other games I'm playing first before getting properly stuck in.   Then in September, it is GTA 5 that will be taking up all my time.  This game promises to be amazing - who knows, it may even be the first GTA game that I actually complete!

October is already secured by Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, though I haven't decided which platform to buy it on just yet.  I would like to get the Wii U version, though if it is £50 and the 360 version can be had for £30, then Nintendo will lose out yet again.  In November, I think I may finally get around to buying Luigi's Mansion 2 that I've been dying to play since it came out.  December may give me an opportunity to buy several games as my dad is usually pretty generous with the financial gifts, though it's too early for me to decide what I'm going to get just yet.

All this will be supported by a subscription to Boomerang.  As LoveFilm are dropping game rentals, I have had to find somewhere new, and I'm currently in my 21 day free trial period.  So far so good, though I have only received one game thus far (the previously mentioned Zone of the Enders HD Collection).  This rental service will be off great help in playing through some of the many other games that I wish to play... check out the huge list below!

From earlier in the year:

Persona 4 Golden
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
HarmoKnight
The Last of Us
Luigi's Mansion 2
Fire Emblem Awakening
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Grid 2

Recent or coming later in 2013:

Game & Wario
Project X Zone
Dragon's Crown
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Rogue Legacy
Shadowrun Returns
Pikmin 3
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
Tales of Xillia
Etrian Odyssey IV
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers
Rayman Legends
The Bureau: X-Com Declassified
The Wonderful 101
GTA 5
Beyond: Two Souls
Assassin's Creed IV
Watch Dogs
Batman: Arkham Origins
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Old games I still want to play:
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Shadow Hearts From the New World
Wild Arms 5
Gungnir
Xenoblade Chronicles (need to finish it)
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
The Witcher 2
Odin Sphere

+ literally dozens of others!

No comments: